- Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer
- Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant
- Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders
- A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage
- Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA's Hazardous Waste list
- Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders
- Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic
- Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders
- Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled
Woven into the story of my book, The Healing Art of Pet Parenthood, is the description of the many things I did to clear my home environment when my 8-year old dog, Buttons, was diagnosed with deadly cancer and given 6 weeks to live. Following an intense holistic regime, she not only lived, but went on to thrive for an additional 11 years.
In my opinion, it is always wise to read the label of every product your animal is exposed to in and around your home.