NOTE: Some alternatives are safe for dogs, BUT UNSAFE , even DEADLY for FOR CATS AND BIRDS (see comment section) PLEASE do your OWN research BEFORE USING ANY of the things I personally choose to use around my dog!!!
- Non polluting, natural laundry detergent w/o petro chemicals, phosphates, formaldehyde, or alcohol-based scent (personally, I like Trader Joe's liquid laundry detergent which is plant-based and scented w/lavender oil)
- Here is some great info on alternatives to monthly flea products. There are many effective options- please do your own research and experimentation to see what works best for you and your pets.
- cedar chips in pet bedding and outdoors
- diatomaceous earth on baseboards (available online)
- nematodes for the yard (available online)
- combo of powdered Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Fennel, Yellow Dock, Wormwood and Rue (all available individually online or at most independent co-ops or health food stores) put in a shaker can and rubbed into pet's fur (NOTE-some herbs toxic and deadly to cats)
- combo of Citronella, Eucalyptus, Cedar, and citrus oils rubbed on hands and then rubbed on dog's ears, belly, etc. (NOTE-some oils toxic and deadly to cats)
- A simple google search of "organic non toxic lawn fertilizer" will give you many safe, affordable alternatives. Remember- your pet absorbs everything it's walking on through its paws.
- Glass or stainless steel bowls for food and water are in my opinion, much safer than ceramic or plastic bowls which can leach chemicals into their contents. Be careful not to place a glass bowl anywhere in sunlight where it could possibly start a fire!
- Air fresheners- this should be a no-brainer. Read the labels- why inhale all those chemicals?!?!? Instead, boil some lemons on the stove- (you can then use the cooled liquid to kill fleas on your pet!) or some oranges, cloves and cinnamon- makes your house smell wonderful. Or get some 100% pure essential oils and make your own scented potpourri w/cloth bags and "oiled" cotton balls. Or buy some naturally-scented, non lead wick candles at Whole Foods, or purchase an aromatherapy diffuser (they even make plug-in models!) which will also enhance the mood of everyone in your home instead of exposing them to potentially harmful chemicals. DO your research, however: SOME essential oils CAN be harmful or toxic to some animals including birds and cats!
- And finally, replacing negatively-focused, dramatically inclined people :) Well, the best remedy I have found/experienced for that can be found by clicking right here!
COMMENT QUESTION: Have you replaced anything in your home with something natural that's not included on this list?