Sunday, November 16, 2008

THE DOGGY DIALOGUES! Q's & A's: Poop Eating & Allergies

As author of The Healing Art of Pet Parenthood and Mom of a dog who survived canine cancer and lived to be 19, people ask me lots of questions about holistic care, senior care, and grief. I am not a vet. Loving pet parent, avid researcher, and holistic pet care advocate are my credentials. That said, please email your questions and let The Doggy Dialogues begin!


Question: from Anonymous
"I would like to know why I eat my own poop."

Dear Anonymous-
First, I congratulate you on your bravery for admitting you have a problem and seeking help. I have always read that when dogs eat their own poop, they are not getting the proper nutrition from their food. (or I guess one could also assume their food is REALLY good!) Here is one of the best articles I've ever come across regarding commercial pet food. I believe every pet parent should be informed. We are what we eat. Especially important for a body weighing less than 100 pounds.

I home-cooked for Buttons and one of the supplements I added to her food was this daily vitamin. I would open the capsule and pour the appropriate dosage into her food. This way, she wasn't ingesting the ingredients of the capsule itself. I would encourage you to do some research and shopping for the best product and prices. Bon appetit!



Question: from the Heelers
"One of my packmates has severe allergies which result in her chewing on herself until she bleeds. She also has ear infections. Our vet said that her allergy was probably an inhaled allergen from the environment and that the best thing we could do was give her a steroid shot. This allergic reaction used to be in the springtime only. Now it almost all of the time. My Momma read on the internet that long term steroid use is bad for the dog. So mom started using medicated shampoo and giving the dog Benadryl. She also uses an ear cleaner with an alcohol base and garlic ear oil. Although these things help they do not alleviate the symptoms. My sister is always sad and itchy. She has lost weight and is not interested in her favorite hobbies. We are worried. Much Love and Thanks"
Dear Heeler Family-
First let me say that my heart goes out to you for all the pain and frustration you must be feeling. Next, please refer to an earlier post I have about the difference between symptom treating and a holistic approach. I believe that the body only develops these type of symptoms when the immune system is weakened. An otherwise unburdened body is not usually affected by naturally occurring allergens.

If it were me, the first thing I'd do is start clearing the home and outdoor environment of possible toxins which might be the cause of that immune system compromise: processed dog food and /or treats with corn, any type of "meal", chemical additives, sugar, etc., weed killers, fertilizers, non natural carpet cleaners, bedding laundered with fabric softener or dryer sheets to start.

After clearing the home environment, the next step is to cleanse the body of all stored toxins. In my opinion one of the better products for pets is Newton's Detoxifier. Next, you want to strengthen the body with good, clean food. One great brand is The Honest Kitchen.

Yucca Extract is a natural steroid with no negative side effects when used as directed. Hope that helps! Please keep us informed- we're pullin' for ya!


Wishing you vibrant health
and precious moments-
Nadine (and Buttons)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Buttons and Nadine,
Just wanted to drop you a line to update you on Star's recovery. We (the heeler family) emailed you a question about allergies that you posted on your blog 11/19/2008. It has been two months since we began treating Star with the products you suggested. In addition the the detoxifier and the Yucca extract that you recommended we also purchased the Mega Pet Daily vitamin. A friend recommended fish oil and we purchased 3V caps from DVM and I also used 50mg of Valerian Root to calm Star's nerves. Star is doing much better. She still has some irritation on her stomach but her symptoms have improved alot. Most of her hair has grown back and her ears are doing better. She even started playing frisbee/ball again.
Thank You SO Much.
Puppy Love and Sloppy Kisses
The Heeler Family